Thank you x 1,000,000 to outgoing Arizona Study Program Chair, Barbara Stoutenburgh
Click here for a YouTube video interview by ASMTA President, Kassandra Weleck, with Barbara Stoutenburgh.
The Arizona Study Program (ASP) was started in 1958 to provide a consecutive and comprehensive plan of music study designed to motivate and encourage the student to strive for growth and excellence.
The Arizona Study Program is a 12-year graded course of study developed by ASMTA to provide for the development of musical Performance, Theory and Technique.
It is organized in terms of the twelve years of public school, with one level for each of the years a student would be enrolled in school. It requires continual work throughout the year and is evaluated each spring by a master adjudicator and a written theory test.
Note: The 2020-2021 student evaluations will be via recorded performances, uploaded to YouTube. See Letter to Membership, dated July 13, 2020 – click here.
ASP Committee 2020-2021
|Chair||Dr. Barbara Russell, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Immediate Past Chair||Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Secretary||Sherry Lenich, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Treasurer||Francisco Naranjo, Jr.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Honorary Member||Carol Hill, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Advisor||Rita Borden, NCTM||Rita.Borden@nau.edu|
|Technology Coordinator||Susan Traylorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Administrative Materials||Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Ribbons & Plaques||Jill Tabatafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Certificates||Fran Kaspar, NCTM||Fran@KasparPianoStudio.com|
ASP Local Chairs
|East Valley||Lara Heeder Holtemail@example.com|
|Debbie Saifi, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Andrew O’Brien, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Eastern Arizona||Janice Holladay, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Northern Arizona||Marjorie Johnsonemail@example.com|
|Phoenix||Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tucson||Karen Van Sickleemail@example.com|
|CMTA||May 1, 2021||Virtual|
|EAMTA||May 1, 2021||Virtual|
|EVMTA||May 1, 2021||Virtual|
|NAMTA||May 1, 2021||Virtual|
|PMTA||May 1, 2021||Virtual|
|TMTA||May 1. 2021||Virtual|
Deadlines and Instructions for 2020-2021 YouTube Evaluations
Please CLICK HERE to open the 2021 ASP YouTube Evaluations page. This page contains IMPORTANT YouTube evaluations deadlines and instructions, most of which is also contained in Packets 1 and 2 (see below).
Overview of Process for Participation in ASP
If you are a teacher interested in participating in the Arizona Study Program, detailed instructions and eventual evaluation results are given by way of three (3) packets:
Found here and in your local MTA yearbook, Packet 1 contains the Parent Letter, General Information, Teacher Instructions for Enrollment, Student Program Form and Materials Order Form.
Please select your local association to download your Packet 1 (in PDF format) —
Unaffiliated and Student Members: To access enrollment information, please select the local association above where your students will be evaluated
Distributed March 15, Packet 2 contains Parent Instructions for YouTube video evaluations and Teachers Instructions for YouTube Evaluations (both instructions are for 2020-2021 evaluation year only); Confidential Report Form; Student Evaluation Form; Release Form & Reminder Notice; complete set of theory exams, set of answer sheets, keyboard paper and grading instructions; theory exams, to be administered by teachers to students any way they choose (2020-2021 evaluation year only); Senior Award letter.
Distributed in May, Packet 3 contains evaluation results and awards.
- Each student must purchase a theory workbook.
- New for 2021 Evaluations – Online Enrollment!
- Early Enrollment $25 is November 1 to December 1.
- Late Enrollment $40 is December 2 to February 15.
- With Online Enrollment you have the option to pay by PayPal (PayPal account, credit card or debit card) or by check. See Packet 1 and the ASP Online Enrollment video, available October 15, for more information. If paying by check, send one check (payable to ASP) for your class (teacher’s check only). NO REFUNDS OR SUBSTITUTIONS.
- To Enroll, select your Local Association:
- For a detailed tutorial, see Teachers ASP Online Enrollment Training video. For questions regarding enrolling online, contact Suszy Traylor, ASP Technology Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org . For questions regarding enrollment in general, contact your local association chairperson(s) (as listed above on this page).
- Also, see Packet 1 (above) for more detailed information.
- A student may be enrolled in different levels for theory/technique and performance.
- Indicate the different levels on all forms and name tag. (Name tags are not needed for the 2020-2021 virtual evaluations.)
- Records will show completion of the lower of the two levels.
- The performance level will determine the time allotment for evaluation.
- Students may be evaluated in only one level per school year.
- Levels may be repeated and/or skipped at the teacher’s discretion.
- Indicate previous teacher(s) of all transfer students if students were previously in ASP.
- Level 4, 8 and 12 awards are given only for completing Category A. Theory, technique, and repertoire must all be at the same level in the same year.
- A Level 12 senior student may take the Early theory test after January 1. If necessary, the Level 12 test can be retaken at the scheduled Evaluation date. Contact chairman for dates.
- Notify local chairman in writing of any students dropped or changes in program, level or category.
- If a student cannot be evaluated on the above dates, see your local association Packet 1 for procedure. There will be an additional fee for the adjudicator. (There will be no make-up or rescheduled evaluations in 2020-2021 as the evaluations will be done by video recording.)
ASP Levels 1-12 Technique Videos!
Login to your ASMTA Member Dashboard, scroll down the page, and click on the link to view the videos.
Teacher Enrichment Grant Recipients
2013 Karen Stahl
2021 Kassandra Weleck, NCTM