The Arizona Study Program (ASP) was started in 1958 to provide a consecutive and comprehensive plan of music study designed to motivate and encourage the student to strive for growth and excellence.
The Arizona Study Program is a 12-year graded course of study developed by ASMTA to provide for the development of musical Performance, Theory and Technique.
It is organized in terms of the twelve years of public school, with one level for each of the years a student would be enrolled in school. It requires continual work throughout the year and is evaluated each spring by a master adjudicator and a written theory test.
|Chair||Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Assistant Chair||Dr. Barbara Russell, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Immediate Past Chair||Elaine Mooney, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Secretary||Sherry Lenich, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Treasurer||Francisco Naranjo, Jr.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Honorary Members||Gloria Ritt, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Advisor||Rita Borden, NCTM||Rita.Borden@nau.edu|
|Technology Coordinator||Susan Traylorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Administrative Materials||Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Ribbons & Plaques||Jasmine Carlosfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Certificates||Fran Kaspar, NCTM||Fran@KasparPianoStudio.com|
ASP Local Chairs
|East Valley||Lara Heeder Holtemail@example.com|
|Debbie Saifi, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Barbara Russell, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Eastern Arizona||Janice Holladay, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Northern Arizona||Marjorie Johnsonemail@example.com|
|Carol Hill, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Tucson||Karen Van Sicklefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|CMTA||May 1-2, 2020||Cochise College|
|EAMTA||April 24-25, 2020||EAC|
|EVMTA||May 15-16, 2020||ASU|
|PMTA||April 24-25, 2020||Az Piano|
|TMTA||May 9. 2020||U of A|
Enrollment deadline $25 per student. Enrollment after December 1: $40 per student.
Student Program Form(s) due (Levels 5 – 12). (See your local chair for any changes.)
End of enrollments
Send Level 12 students’ address and all records to local chair.
McCurnin Teacher Enrichment and Certification grant applications due.
Forms provided to every member:
Packet 1 – in Yearbooks and on the ASMTA website. Contains parent letter, general information, enrollment form, student program form, materials order form, and local association 2018 highlights.
Please select your local association to download your Packet 1 (in PDF format):
Unaffiliated and Student Members: To access enrollment information, please select the local association above where your students will be evaluated.
Forms provided to members enrolled in Arizona Study Program:
–Packet 2 (March/April): Evaluation Information
–Packet 3 (May): Evaluation Results
New in 2019! ASP Levels 1-12 Technique Videos!
Login to your Member Access portal/Dashboard, scroll down the page, and click on the link to view the videos.
- Each student must purchase a theory workbook.
- Complete and return the Enrollment Form. (See Packet 1 of Forms section above. Copy additional Enrollment Forms if necessary.)
- Send one check (payable to ASP) for your class (teacher’s check only). NO REFUNDS OR SUBSTITUTIONS.
- A student may be enrolled in different levels for repertoire/technique and performance.
- Indicate the different levels on all forms and name tag.
- Records will show completion of the lower of the two levels.
- The performance level will determine the time allotment for evaluation.
- Students may be evaluated in only one level per school year.
- Levels may be repeated and/or skipped at the teacher’s discretion.
- Indicate previous teacher(s) of all transfer students if students were previously in ASP.
- Level 4, 8 and 12 awards are given only for completing Category A. Theory, technique, and repertoire must all be at the same level in the same year.
- A Level 12 senior student may take the Early theory test after January 1. If necessary, the Level 12 test can be retaken at the scheduled Evaluation date. Contact chairman for dates.
- Notify local chairman in writing of any students dropped or changes in program, level or category.
- If a student cannot be evaluated on the above dates, see your local association Packet 1 for procedure. There will be an additional fee for the adjudicator.
Attention ASP Participating Teachers!
Arizona Study Program (ASP) information, forms, and resources are available, in two (2) places, on the Arizona State Music Teachers Association (ASMTA) website:
- This page, the Arizona Study Program Home page, for the Arizona Study Program Information and Forms (see Forms Section < Packet 1 for your local association above), and
- ASMTA Member Dashboard/portal to find the ASP Online Store and the ASP Technique Videos.