Thank You, Barbara “Bobbi” Stoutenburgh!
Thank you x 1,000,000 to outgoing Arizona Study Program Chair, Barbara Stoutenburgh
Click here for a YouTube video interview by ASMTA President, Kassandra Weleck, with Barbara Stoutenburgh.
The Arizona Study Program (ASP) was started in 1958 to provide a consecutive and comprehensive plan of music study for piano designed to motivate and encourage the student to strive for growth and excellence.
The Arizona Study Program is a 12-year graded course of study developed by ASMTA to provide for the development of musical Performance, Theory and Technique.
It is organized in terms of the twelve years of public school, with one level for each of the years a student would be enrolled in school. It requires continual work throughout the year and is evaluated each spring by a master adjudicator and a written theory test.
ASP Committee 2022-2023
|Chair||Dr. Barbara Russell, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Immediate Past Chair||Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Treasurer||Francisco Naranjo, Jr.||email@example.com|
|Technology Coordinator||Susan Traylorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ribbons & Plaques||Johnny Riceemail@example.com|
|Certificates||Fran Kaspar, NCTM||Kaspar48@gmail.com|
ASP Local Chairs
|East Valley||Lara Heeder Holtfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Debbie Saifi, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Dr Barbara Russell, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Eastern Arizona||Janice Holladay, NCTMemail@example.com|
|Northern Arizona||Rita Borden, NCTMfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Christina Eideemail@example.com|
|Dr. Dani Shraibmanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Karen Van Sickleemail@example.com|
|CMTA||May 5-6, 2023||Cochise College|
|EAMTA||April 28-29, 2023||Eastern Arizona College|
|EVMTA||May 12-13, 2023||Arizona State University|
|NAMTA||May 18-19, 2023||Northern Arizona University, School of Music|
|PMTA||May 18-20, 2023||Glendale Community College|
|TMTA||May 13, 2023||University of Arizona|
Overview of Process for Participation in ASP
If you are a teacher interested in participating in the Arizona Study Program, detailed instructions and eventual evaluation results are given by way of three (3) packets:
Found here and in your local MTA yearbook, Packet 1 contains the Parent Letter, General Information, Teacher Instructions for Online Enrollment, ASP Indemnity Agreement (PMTA), Student Program Form and Materials Order Form and Highlights.
Please select your local association to download your Packet 1 (in PDF format) —
Unaffiliated and Student Members: To access enrollment information, please select the local association above where your students will be evaluated
Fillable Forms from Packet 1:
Fillable PDF Student Program Forms contained in Packet 1 is also being provided here as a single form for your convenience. See Packet 1 for more information.
Fillable PDF PMTA-ASP 2023 Indemnity Agreement (only PMTA teachers need an indemnity Agreement).
Fillable PDF Confidential Report Form contained in Packet 2 is also being provided here as a single form for your convenience. See Packet 2 for more information.
Distributed in late-March or early April by each local association, Packet 2 contains: further teacher instructions and scheduling; instructions for parents; Confidential Report Form; Student Evaluation Form; Release Form & Reminder Notice; Senior Award letter.
Fillable Form from Packet 2:
“Fillable” PDF 2023 Confidential Report Form, the hard copy of which is contained in Packet 2, will be provided (in March-April 2023) here as a single, digital form for teachers’ convenience. For instructions regarding the form, see Packet 2 which will be mailed to teachers in late March or early April.
Distributed in May, Packet 3 contains evaluation results and awards.
- Each student must purchase a theory workbook.
- Prior to enrolling, all newly participating teachers, or PMTA-ASP, TMTA-ASP teachers who did not participate in 2022, need to contact your local chairperson to obtain your ASP Teacher ID number. Detailed instructions are found on the Online Enrollment page,
- PMTA Teachers must obtain a fully signed Indemnity Agreement representing each of their participating students (one form per family). Teachers must acknowledge receipt of these signed forms when enrolling online.
- Online Enrollment only (no paper enrollments accepted):
- Early Enrollment $35 is November 1 to December 1.
- Late Enrollment $50 is December 2 to February 15.
- With Online Enrollment you have the option to pay by PayPal (PayPal account, credit card or debit card) or by check. If paying by check, send one check (payable to ASP) for your class (teacher’s check only). NO REFUNDS OR SUBSTITUTIONS.
To Enroll, select your Local Association:
CMTA, EAMTA, EVMTA, NAMTA, PMTA, TMTA.
- For questions regarding enrolling online, contact Suszy Traylor, ASP Technology Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org . For questions regarding enrollment in general, contact your local association chairperson(s) (as listed above on this page).
- Also, see Packet 1 (above) for more detailed information.
- A student may be enrolled in different levels for theory/technique and performance.
- Indicate the different levels on the name tag and all forms, including the Student Evaluation Form which is presented to the adjudicator..
- Records will show completion of the lower of the two levels.
- The performance level will determine the time allotment for evaluation.
- Students may be evaluated in only one level per school year.
- Levels may be repeated and/or skipped at the teacher’s discretion.
- Indicate previous teacher(s) of all transfer students if students were previously in ASP.
- Level 4, 8 and 12 awards are given only for completing Category A. Theory, technique, and repertoire must all be at the same level in the same year.
- A Level 12 senior student may take the Early theory test after January 1. If necessary, the Level 12 test can be retaken at the scheduled Evaluation date. Contact chairman for dates.
- Notify local chairman in writing of any students dropped or changes in program, level or category. (Check with your local association ASP chair for possible deadlines for submitting changes.)
- If a student cannot be evaluated on the above dates, see your local association Packet 1 for procedure. There will be an additional fee for the adjudicator.
ASP Levels 1-12 Technique Videos!
Login to your ASMTA Member Dashboard, scroll down the page, and click on the link to view the videos.
Janice McCurnin Teacher Enrichment Grant
Janice McCurnin Certification Grant Program
Teacher Enrichment Grant Recipients
2013 Karen Stahl
2021 Kassandra Weleck, NCTM