Interviewing Music Teachers
To find a good teacher/student fit, a personal interview is important. Here are some suggested questions:
- What method (i.e. what type of instruction books) do you use?
- How long are lessons?
- What are your practice and performance requirements?
- Do you hold recitals?
- How much is tuition?
- Do their students participate in local, state or national competitions? Has the teacher had any winners?
- Discuss your goals as a student to determine if the teacher finds these goals achievable.
- Do your students participate in the Arizona Study Program?
- How do you approach a student “like me”? (beginning, intermediate, old, young, transfer, etc.)
- What is your approach to teaching theory, sight reading, and keyboard harmony?
- Do you teach musical styles such as jazz, improvisation, traditional, electronic, etc?
- Can you provide some names of students as references?
Other Teacher Referral Services
Referral services are also available from the following ASMTA local music teacher associations:
Cochise (CMTA) Teacher Referral Service
East Valley (EVMTA) Teacher Referral Service
Phoenix (PMTA) Teacher Referral Service
Tucson (TMTA) Teacher Referral And Information Line
Phone: (520) 749-3074
This page was updated March 27, 2019 for “Active” teachers on Find-a-Teacher (and Membership Directory).